Friday, December 20, 2013

#2 Penny Gets Some Alone Time

I told the girls yesterday that it was not going to be as nice today.  Unfortunately, I was right.  It wasn't so cold as it was windy with freezing drizzle ... nasty. All the girls except for Penny decided they wanted to go outside anyway.  I gave them their apples, which they pecked at eagerly.



When I came back to them after doing the other chores (feeding dogs, cats, horses, and cleaning stalls) they were all under the coop trying to stay out of the wind; except for Penny who had stayed inside.  As I made my way into the coop to clean it, she came and talked to me for bit, very unlike her to be that sociable.  I told her I thought she was a very smart girl for staying inside today.  And if she just wanted some alone time, this was the perfect time for it.  She had the whole coop to herself; food, water, light, out of the wind; I would certainly do it.



A few hours later, John went out to check on them and gather eggs.  Everyone else decided Penny had the right idea and had come back in.   I was so happy they really do have sense to come in out of the cold and ick.

During afternoon feeding I figured their coop would need to be cleaned again since they had gone back in.  When I opened the door, Ebony popped out as did most everybody else.  The wind had quieted down considerably and the freezing drizzle had stopped thankfully.  They seemed a little happier with the weather even though they still spent most of their time under the coop.

A big winter storm is predicted for our area Saturday night and into Sunday.  We will see how that pans out.  Hopefully it won't be as bad as they say.  I know the chickens are hoping that too.  They are definitely not snow girls!

Till next time.  Namaste and Aho.

No comments:

Post a Comment